Statement

 

Why do I want to study at MSA?

My future goal is to channelize my passion into becoming the best women architect in Pakistan spearheading the climate resilient and green architecture field by acquiring advanced skills from your prestigious institute. Manchester School of Architecture is taking the lead in environment-friendly policies by attracting global talent by providing excellent facilities, labs, and tools to progress in this field. It will also give me a chance to develop my own network in architecture and meet some of the leaders in this field which will provide me with exposure to practical intricacies of the industry. I plan to attend seminars, conferences and visit sites through your platform to see how modern architecture is redesigning and reshaping the developed world and then replicate those back at home. Through your university I want to enhance my computer modeling skills to be able to plan and develop sustainable architecture and integrate modern techniques and tools with architectural design. Moreover, the contemporary and historical architectural Landscape that Manchester itself offers would greatly inspire me for my studies and allow diversity in my creativity. MSA is a collaboration between The University of Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU) which will allow me to benefit from various teaching expertise across the two institutions and will enable me to learn from numerous perspectives. In its programme Manchester particularly offers progressively independent tasks, fieldwork and field trips to gain a real world understanding of architecture which will help me acquire skills a professional architect needs. My dream is to work on cheap and renewable architecture that can be rebuilt quickly in case of floods and provide quality housing to the people of Pakistan with proper sanitation and sterile facilities, as well as design spaces that are women friendly as there are very few women entrepreneurs in Pakistan and urban development society is all male dominated. The skills acquired at your institution will pave my way to success.

A review of a recent exhibition/building that I have visited: It was only recently that I visited the Pakistan National Council of Arts for a very famous exhibition. I was mesmerized by the renowned artist of Pakistan Sadequin, who had used a very unique technique in his paintings by scratching the paints with a knife to highlight its feature and had made a distinctive collection of collages, working in wood and metal. In the masterpiece 'TREASURIES OF TIME' he gives a concept of celebrating the intellectual achievements of man, by depicting 46 major figures divided into five main sections. He starts from the first pre-historic man drawing a circle, the painting goes on to include the portraits of prominent philosophers and intellectuals. I greatly admired the use of subtle details in all his paintings alluding to the hidden message behind them. Overall, these paintings illustrate the struggle of Pakistan by connecting its colonial past to the modern day and by highlighting the significance of what all has changed in the modern day.

 

A statement about my favorite architect or building: Architect Raffello Roselli’s work become a contemporary inspiration for me due to her use of recycled and sustainable materials in construction. This shows her understanding and willingness of green architecture and her aim of producing sustainable architecture with a low carbon footprint. Thus, she is my inspiration to be part of the generation that would deal with the challenges of global warming and develop innovative and creative solutions to reimagine our ways of living as sustainable design is not for future but is the need of the present.


A work of architecture that I would like to experience in person: Words are not enough to describe the feeling of the experience of viewing the iconic piece of architecture encompassing all forms of art and innovation; The Beijing Daxing International Airport. Designed by the late Zaha Hadid, an epitome of innovation in architecture, Beijing Daxing features a terminal the size of 97 soccer pitches, making it the largest single-building terminal in the world. Furthermore, with innovation there is tremendous culture reflected in the building as well with its shape fashioned by the five concourses connecting to a main hall. This design echoes principles within traditional Chinese architecture that organizes interconnected spaces around a central courtyard. With its mechanical systems, structure and the circulation exposed on the exterior, the building stands out from all other buildings in the world. I am especially drawn to its complex shapes of their structures are held together and stabilized bythe simplest of patterns.

Comments

Popular Posts